- 2 tablespoons butter – cold/frozen
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup discard sourdough starter
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375F with two racks in, spaced relatively equally apart.
- Grate the butter. (I chopped it up in the video, but I’ve since discovered the joy of grating it while it’s super cold or even frozen!)
- Combine the butter and flour in a medium mixing bowl. Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour until it looks like sand. Pour in the sourdough starter and gently mix. Add the cheddar cheese and combine. If necessary, use your hand to make sure the dough forms a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper and top with a second piece of parchment. Roll out as thin as you can using a rolling pin. Cut into squares using a pastry wheel and place the squares on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Sprinkle generously with kosher salt.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, switching the baking sheets halfway. The crackers should be crisp with slightly browned edges. Allow to cool directly on the baking sheet. Serve immediately, or let fully cool and transfer to airtight container and store for up to 2 days.